Tales from my life as a mom of 2 sons and 2 daughters


Cheli On Monday, January 16, 2006
OK so Sunday morning at 1am I woke up with really bad crampiness and contractions. I tried everything to see if they were going to go away.. nope. So about 2:30 I made Doug take me to Wal Mart to walk around.. at 4 the contractions were worse and I was extremely uncomfortable.. so we decided to head to Shands. I get to Shands go to triage and they hook me up.. sure enough contractions were every 2-4 minutes checked my cervix.. still not doing much there.. *sigh* But while they were monitoring me River's heart rate had a deceleration down into the low 90s.. the doctor decided to admit me for 23 hours to watch. So over to L&D I go and get hooked up.. that's when they tell me there is NO eating or drinking anything but ice chips while I'm in L&D and they also aren't going to let me up out of bed for the whole 23 hours because I would have to come off the monitors to go anywhere.. UGHHHHHHHHHHHH I wasnt' even allowed to PEE on my own. And River WOULD NOT cooperate for anything.. if I so much as moved postions we lost his heart tones.
Doctor comes in after about 6 hours checks my cervix again says there has been no change but that my contractions are getting stronger. She says if I can get my cervix to change at ALL they will go ahead and induce me. Fine. She leaves.. next time she comes back she says the maternal heart doctor doesn't want to induce me unless I've made significant change because we just don't know about River's lungs and the only way they would know that is to do an amnio. So I consent to the amnio.. she explained the possible risks.. it could cause me to have contractions.. which I already was.. it could cause my water to break in which case they would actively help me have him or worse case he reacts badly to it and they have to do a c-section. They set up the amnio and it took them 4 tries to get the needle into a position where they were getting fluid and not just blood. My belly looks wonderful. She says it shouldn't be more than an hour for the FLM to come back and we'll know then. If it comes back mature they will induce me if it comes back immature they will send me home for another week. Fine.. 3 hours later no one has been back in the room to tell me anything.. by now I am HURTING and miserable as it's now 9pm and I haven't eaten in 24 hours and haven't been out of the bed in 13. So I call for the nurse and tell her I want the IV out NOW and I want to go home unless they are going to do something. She starts stuttering and I explain that if the IV doesn't come out it's going to end up blowing my vain because it's been killing me for the last hour. So she takes it out. The bruise on my arm today goes from 2 inches below my wrist all the way to my elbow.. I wasn't kidding when I said something was wrong.
9:30 and the doctor finally comes in.. the amnio came back and they weren't happy enough for the score to go ahead and induce so they decided to discharge me. Said that if I have more then 4 contractions in an hour to come back. I laughed at her and said that I'd been having consistant regular contractions for 13 hours now 9 an hour.. what was the point of me going home? She said well if they get worse or you start to bleed or if your water breaks or if you don't feel the baby move. Fine whatever.
So 10:30 last night I got home. Every part of my body is killing me. I want him out. He wants to be out. The original doctor was going to just induce me but her shift ended and the next doctor bulked at the idea. I have an NST and my 36/37 week appointment tomorrow (I'll be 1 day shy of 37 weeks). If I'm still having contractions this close together the NST people will make me go back to L&D.. *sigh* Are we done yet??????