Tales from my life as a mom of 2 sons and 2 daughters

Pages

Cheli On Monday, February 13, 2006

INTRODUCING THE MOST SPECIAL PERSON IN MY WORLD

RIVER DRAKE

BORN: FEBRUARY 11TH, 2006 @ 12:21 AM

WEIGHT: 7 LBS 7.4 OZ OR 3386 GRAMS

HEIGHT: 20 INCHES

APGAR SCORES: 9/9

That's right.. our little man made his way into the world on Saturday morning... after a very very long labor.. Induction was started at 11am on the 10th.. River was born 13 1/2 hours later after little over an hour of actual pushing.. I only used pitocin for about 2 hours because River gave us a scare when I hit the 6cm mark by dropping his heart rate into the 70's. Once the pitocin was stopped and I was given oxygen and put on my side though.. it came back up.. I did tear.. in 2 places but not badly..

It was the most amazing thing in the entire world and totally worth every moment.. although I was sure i was going to die toward the end of it.. and I think everyone in the hospital heard me scream *grin* He is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and such a precious little boy.

I was released from the hospital this morning... River unfortunately was not able to come with us because he was born hypoglycemic and is having some trouble acclemating to having to produce glucose on his own now because of my gestational diabetes. He is currently in NICU Stepdown.. or Level 2 NICU.. he is being given food through a tube in his nose. Partly because I don't want him having bottles and partly because the one time I let them try he absolutely refused and spit the formula right back out and turned his had from the bottle. Apparently my boy is a natural breast feeder. *grin* He also is being given glucose water through an IV.. he was on 13cc's but now he's only on 2 which is the lowest level. He was also having a hard time regulating his own body temp which is common with low blood sugar but as of last check he was right at the cut off of where he needed to be and holding steady.. so we shall see. He keeps going up and down.. we dont' know when he'll be able to come home.. hopefully in the next few days.. but they won't say because of how unsteady he's being.

We will post pictures as soon as we get the computer fixed so that we can put the digital pics on the computer.. we are still using the library computer. It was so wonderful to hear from zoe and Sarah.. it made me smile and feel loved.. :) I will give a more detailed update on the whole thing when I have had some rest..

0 comments: