Tales from my life as a mom of 2 sons and 2 daughters

Pages

Cheli On Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I have a very sick little boy :(

I picked him up from the daycare Monday afternoon and he was burning up. Took his temp as soon as we got home 102.7 and gave him Motrin.. waited an hour and took it again 103.5.. called the pedi and was told to give him a dose of Tylonel waited another 45 minutes took his temp again 103.1 decided to take him to the ER because he wouldn't eat, was very crabby and the fever wasn't coming down. The ER did a chest x-ray and come to find out he has "thickening of mucous in the lungs" translation.. the start of pneumonia. They don't do blood work, no urine specimen, prescribe him Amoxicillin and send him home. Tell me that he might be having a reaction the soy milk and to talk to the pedi about it.

Tuesday, I go to school to take my unit exam and final and get a call before the first test from Doug.. he says 'I don't know what I should do... his temp is 104.2" *sigh* Motrin, luke warm bath, nice drink.. I'll be home as soon as I can. I get home baby is sleeping. Later in the evening I get a call from a friend of mine, she thinks she is in labor and doesn't want to go to the hospital alone. Doug and I put the baby to bed before I leave at 8 and I got home about 1:30 this morning just in time for River to wake up crying. I get him up and decide to change him and take his temp.. 104.2.. more motrin. Back to bed. He wakes up at 8:45 this morning and his temp is 105. Lukewarm bath, offer liquids which he won't take, and more motrin. Call the pedi... she says take him to Wolfson's (the Children's Hospital in Jacksonville). Off we go.. We get there and his temp is down to 102.3 and she gives him Tylonel in Triage. We go back into the ER and they do a chest x-ray, start an IV line so they can get blood, and get a urine specimen (for anyone who has ever had a sick 1 year old.. urine specimen= catherization = really really pissed off kid). Take all records to lab and we wait. Doc comes in and says he has pneumonia (duh) and he has a UTI. She orders a round of IV antibiotics called Rocephin and tells us that we can take him home afterward but we need to monitor his temp every 4 hours and give him Motrin every 6 and come back in 24 hours so he can get a muscle injection of the stuff. *sigh*

We got home about 4pm. River went down for a "nap" at 4:30.. he is still asleep and it's a quarter til Midnight :( My poor son.

I called my DON and told her that I wasn't at clinicals today and won't be there tomorrow.. she doesn't care. Said the baby is more important and I can make up the time later. I love my DON. Well it's nearly midnight.. I'm sure he'll be up in a few hours so I'm going to bed.

0 comments: