Tales from my life as a mom of 2 sons and 2 daughters


Cheli On Friday, February 15, 2008

Wednesday night I started having contractions and by about 6pm they were pretty regular so we decided to call the midwife and let her know that it may be time soon and then went to Wal-mart to finish grabbing stuff we needed for the birthing supply list that the midwife had given us a few weeks ago so I could finish packing my bags just in case. Midwife told me to call back if they developed into a regular and intense pattern. By about 11pm they were 4-7 minutes apart for over an hour so we called the midwife and she came out to the house at midnight to check me out. I was 2-3 cm dilated but still not effaced and she mentioned that Journey was still really high. She said she'd messed around alot with my cervix trying to get a good feel so it might cause me to have alot more contractions and that and some rest might be what it takes to bring Journey down and get the party started. She suggested getting some sleep and said to call her if they picked up or got more intense or anything. Doug and I went to bed and I woke up at 3:30 with more intense contractions and a ton of back pain. Called the midwife about 5:30 and she suggested we meet up at the birthing center, just in case. So we make arrangements for River with my mother in law and then head up to the center. When we get there, she checks me and tells me there is no change and says she still can't feel Journey in the pelvis (which is probably why there is no change). So she listens with the dopple and doesn't find his heartbeat where she thinks she should.. she found it up high.. ut oh. So she gets the fetoscop out to get a better idea of where he is at and sure enough he's breech. She sends me home and tells me to stay off my feet completely, take 3000 mg of calcium/magnesium to slow down the contractions as we don't want my water breaking if he's breech and she said she'd call me later that morning *yesterday* to let me know what she and the other midwife think we should do next.

So we come home and I crash into bed and pretty much pass out from 7:30 until 10:30 when the midwife calls to say that Sharon *the main midwife* wants me to come in at noon for my "regular" appointment time. She wants to take me over to the OB's office who backs her up and use the ultrasound machine to scan me and make sure the baby is breech. So I get dressed and we head up there. I've lost a pound since last week which means I've gained officially 3 lbs this pregnancy LOL and then we waited for Sharon to show up to take us over to the OB. Once we get to the OB she does a quick scan and sure enough his head and feet are up by my ribs and his butt is down near my cervix. He's frank breech. So Sharon suggests that we go ahead and schedule me for an external cephalic version. Basically, the doctor will manually turn the baby into a head down position from the outside. She tells me to wait there and the receptionist will book the appointment with the hospital for as soon as possible. As soon as possible was the next day *today* at 11:45. So I'll be having the version done at 11:45 today.

The midwife thinks that once he is in a head down position and applying pressure to cervix again I'll continue to dilate and move into active labor. I hope so. I'm so afraid that if I don't he'll flip back up. There is a 58% success rate with frank breech babies and versions. Not really high but not too bad either. If he starts to have problems of any kind they will stop immediately but that would mean I would be scheduled for a c-section as early as 38 weeks. *3 days from now* or worse case scenario he really goes into distress and I have to have an emergency c-section today. I'm scared to death.

Then as if all of this isn't stressful enough, Doug, River and I have all been sick for the last 2-3 days. River is on an antibiotic for strep throat. I don't think Doug or I have that but we both have really bad sinus colds I think which involves a ton of coughing, fever, achiness.. blah..

So that's my update.